April 11, 2014

Textile Trip 2014: Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang has so much to offer. The beauty of the country and the people and culture of the place are truly special. We stayed there five nights and enjoyed every minute of it. First impression counts and my first impression of Luang Prabang was when I arrived at Satri House Hotel. The hotel is an old colonial-style house that was previously the residence of Prince Souphanouvon. The Laotian monarchy no longer exists but the family members still live in Laos. We went to see a Royal Ballet performance and one of the members of the orchestra was an ex-prince from the royal family. 

The following eight photos are of  various scenes from Satri House Hotel. I will add some short captions to each photo. 

A statue of a novice monk (young monk) in the
grounds of Satri House Hotel 

A cone shaped flower arrangement for offerings

A long passage running from the front door into
the courtyard of the hotel

Blue and white ceramics as part of
wall decorations

An old bench. This is my favourite subject
to photograph.

Hotel guest sitting area

Silk wall hanging - a Laotian gentleman's robe

Cynthia at the desk on the veranda
outside her room 

Luang Prabang morning market. After our Alms giving ceremony our guide La took us to the morning market that runs through a lane next to his childhood home. The market scene was so colourful, vibrant and full of life. The vendors bring the produce that they grow themselves. 

Rice is not just rice. Sticky rice is the staple
diet in Laos,but you can get varieties of rice
at this market 

Garden produce simply displayed on the
side walk

Here are some hot spices. The one in the
 bowl is chilli powder

Ready made cuisine is also available 

Fresh tofu and noodles are made daily

Some cooked fresh peanuts, brown rice,
soy beans etc.

You can find medicinal roots and barks
there as well

Bouquets of flowers for offerings at temples
are readily available

A traditional Laotian house close to the
market

The lane leading to Nam Kran River

Young novices on their way to Buddhist
school 

Monks on their morning Alms giving
procession 

I will be posting more about the Alms giving procession in a later post. These monks are very photogenic with the brightly coloured robes they are wearing. I have taken some great photos of them.

In the next post it will be about Ock Pop Tok, the weaving and natural dye center in Luang Prabang. I hope to get it ready before we leave for Tasmania during the Easter Holiday. The highlight in this post for me would have to be the morning market. 

Thanks for coming along with me on my textile trip journey. It's fun to share my travel experience and photographs with you after I got back.

Until next time
Nat


11 comments:

deanna7trees said...

great images. they give a good feel of what it is like when actually being there. so many beautiful colors.

Nedra said...

Thank you for sharing so much about your recent trip! I've never been to this area of the world, and you give such insight into their culture. Beautiful!

Needled Mom said...

I would love to have walked through that market. It looks fabulous.

The place where you stayed looks so inviting....just beautiful.

Peggy said...

Hi Nat! Oh, I'm loving these magical posts -- both your stories and the fabulous photos that I can click on to see enlarged. Amazing.
More please! xoxo

Terry said...

A niice walk through the everyday life . The local markets are always a source of great photos.

Els said...

Ahhh love the colours of the market !!!
(remember how it all smelled when we were in Indonesia, years ago ....!)
Those robes of the monks !! Such a burning orange !

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Love this and your previous post on your travels through Laos, almost felt like I was there. Tnanks for sharing!

Suzanna said...

Thank you, Nat...I enjoyed this trip...have never been there myself...

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Oh my thanks for sharing this is a part of the world I know nothing about.

Safe travels and Happy Sewing

ARTISUN said...

Really enjoying your photos of your textile trip, but one of my favorite things you photoed were the 3 ceramic plates over the bench, gorgeous! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...