October 15, 2016

Yellow Crumb Quilt

September and October has been busy, fun and nervous time. It started when my friend Myra Dunn from Myfluffybag visited the end of September. I had a fun packed activities awaiting her. First was Quilts in the Barn's annual exhibition. The next day was Geelong Fibre Forum, a yearly event. The last day of Myra's visited I took her to ours favourite Niko Kafe in Oakleigh. What the little time we had left. We managed to play in the Treehouse Studio creating two quilts that we got inspired from Quilts in the Barn's exhibition the vintage crumb quilt. The evening before all these activities Myra mentioned the word "crumb quilting" which we looked up in Youtube, but it wasn't until we saw a vintage crumb quilt that we were in-loved with it!

You might also want to know about my nervous time? I had a small surgery on my back to removed infected cysts. I had that done a couple of days after Myra's left. I was a nervous lack for couple of weeks prior to the operation. I'm not a fan of hospital, doctor or pain! It was over in a couple of hours while I was knocked out, phew! I'm now home on sick-leave for 2 weeks. The pain had gone with the help of strong pain killers and a course of antibiotic. I'm up and about because sitting is not the most comfortable position when you have surgery on your back! I can walks and stand though! 

Now back to the Yellow Crumb Quilt. After returned from Quilts in the Barn exhibition both Myra and I were all inspired by 100 or so vintage quilts. One quilt in particular was a yellow Crumb quilt. With tone of scraps I've accumulated from quilts such as Rags to Riches and Handkerchief Corner quilt. We started to tackled our crumb quilts. I choose yellow base and Myra chooses red for hers.

The block to be 5" finished so I cut the 'F' fabric (feature fabric), which is yellow 3" wide strip, but instead of crumb piecing the whole length of strip as per YouTube's instruction I pre-cute my 3" strip into 3.5" pieces. I chain pieced all my blocks until I finished. If you are quilters you would be able to make this quilt by looking at my photos. I will try to explain under each photo what I'm doing. Enjoy!

I will need 230 block for a single size quilt.
I will not put them together until
I finished piecing all blocks.

Myra's Red Crumb Quilt

Crumb units. Very simple and not too
many pieces.

Attach 3.5" 'F' fabric onto crumb pieces.

Crumb blocks ready to trim.

Crumb units trimmed and ready to assemble. 

Block complete, now make 229 more blocks!

Imagine using Japanese fabric!

I'm using my beloved Singer Featherweight to
pieced this quilt. I love using it for
memorable quilt.

Here are the leftover crumbs. It's time to
discarded them.

Vintage crumb quilt.

Closed up of the vintage quilt.

Even closer look!

I can't see why you can't make larger blocks or make a modern looking quilt with it. I imagine using those bright and modern fabric in a quilt like this, but I love using vintage and recycled fabric so this version is perfect for me.

I hope to piece all the blocks by the time I return to work. It's a lot of fun piecing the blocks. There are so many variations of piecing I can do. With all the scraps I pre-cut for the previous quilts. It makes the process going faster than I have to cut everything from scratch.

Until next time
Nat

8 comments:

ria vogelzang said...

So gorgeous!! Love your crumb-quilt!!!
Such a good way to use your scraps..
ENjoy!

deanna7trees said...

thanks for showing the details of the crumb quilt. i absolutely love it....need to find the time.
sorry to hear about your surgery but glad it's over and you're on the road to recovery.

Needled Mom said...

I love the yellow crumb blocks quilt. The color is so pretty with the scraps.

I hope you continue to get better. Those surgeries are always worrisome. Try to enjoy your time off.

Nifty Quilts said...

I'm glad your surgery has gone well, and that you are on the mend. The antique quilt is very inspiring! Both of your renditions will be great. Your post makes me want to drop everything and start sewing scraps together!

Terry said...

Glad your on the mend. Your quilt is so you and Myra's so her. Both will be great and make me want to playy as well but I need to complete a lot (at least a few) older projects. Happy Sunday

Unknown said...

Have a great time when you see this. It is pretty good. Thanks for sharing.


หวยออนไลน์

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I do not have any word to say amazing. Your quilt is deliful and beautiful. Thank you so much for share with us. You inspire to me . God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work and lovely photos! I recycle fabric, too, and also bits of batting. They just cannot be added to our landfills any longer, especially when they can be made into something pretty and useful. More posts, please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...