March 31, 2009

Dyeing Sunday

It has been ages since the last time I dyed. I usually dye using the zip lock bag method, but I have read somewhere that I can dye in containers too. I never have enough containers so I used some zip lock bags for dying the threads. Dyeing is really fun. You not only have colourful fabrics to play with at the end, but you can experiment with lots of things. This time I wanted to try using different fabrics like silk, velvet and upholstery fabric. I am putting some cotton laces in as well.

I also over dyed some of the threads I bought, but the colour was too bright. They over dyed very well.
Some cotton fabrics and threads in the dye bath. I leave it for at least 24 hours before I rinse it off. The colour will be less intense after it dries.

And these are ball of pearl threads and fabrics hanging to dry in the afternoon sun. I am happy with how they turned out. I now have to reel them into skeins and will take more photos for the next posting.

Enjoy

5 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Natima...these colours are beautiful...and thank you for visitng my new blog...Dzintra♥

Anonymous said...

I've dyed fabrics in the washer but never in a container or zip lock bag.. if you use zip lock then you must be using a cold water dye?
You've got me interested in dying some cotton thread :)

Julia said...

Great colours Natima, I overdye my silk ribbons...seems I can never have enough green, so that's the colour I mostly dye..
Julia ♥

handstitch knoxfield said...

Dear Natima,
Nice dying job and wonder how you have a tub of fabrics dying and they are all differant colours............Look great all blowing in the wind........
Lynette

Micki said...

Beautiful colours and you have seem to caught the colours perfectly! I love seeing them all hung up like that.
Micki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...