June 27, 2010

Kimono Jacket Deconstruction and fabrics from Zigozagu

My love for Japanese crafts and textiles including kimono jackets (Haori) started as far back as my last life when I lived in my birth country Thailand. My first contact with Japanese was when I met my friend and neighbor Ayumi. Ayumi was a very creative lady. She did all kind of hand work and showed me how to do embroidery and Sashiko stitches.  Ayumi also introduced me to my first kimono jacket (Haori). I think I only wore it once since I got it. I still have it until today after many years because it's very  special to me. I think it's time I get better use out of it. I decided to deconstruct it and use the fabric in my projects that I'm working on. I'm going to slowly unpick it. I was shown how by Christine, who works at Ziguzagu, where to start unpicking and how to best preserve the fabric after taking it apart. I will take photos and post the process here as best I can. 
My first kimono jacket (Haori) that Ayumi brought back for me from Japan. She said it was a vintage kimono that was in perfect condition. It's silk and fully lined with silk lining. It has a hem flower pattern all over it in blue and white. After I unpick  it I should get 4-5 metres of fabric from it.
The lining is in two parts. The top part is made of silk. The bottom part is made of the same fabric as the outer silk folded up and join to the silk lining. The silk lining has got motifs of maple leaves, chrysanthemum, water lilies and oak leaves on water. Christine told me that it is a typical  pattern found on silk lining for Haori jackets. The background on the lining was done in Shibori style the traditional way. If you have a moment take a look at the video link I got for you here.
Closer look at the Shibori style pattern on the jacket. This style of Shibori was done the traditional way by hand.
Do you see the pearly dots on the white background? They are done in traditional Shabori style dyeing.
Here is some vintage fabric I got from Ziguzagu a couple of weeks ago. All of the fabric came from deconstructed  kimonos or haoris. They have been carefully unpicked, pressed and rolled as you can see on my Ziguzagu visited post. My favorite is the yellow and green Shabori!
Some more fabric from Ziguzagu including wool and silk that I plan to dye in indigo when the weather gets warmer. The brown roll of fabric came from a gentleman's haori jacket. It's silk with bird patterns textured   and woven all over it.

I have some work ahead of me deconstructing my haori jacket. I'm looking forward to it. I was actually inspired to deconstruct my kimono jacket by Heather at True Stitches. Although my haori jacket was a special gift I have not worn it in the last 20 years so I decided to make good use of the fabric by using it in my quilting. I hope you will follow me on this trip of deconstructing my haori jacket. 

"Waste Not and Want Not"


15 comments:

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

I think it is a great idea to use the fabric in your quilting. The colours and prints are beautiful.

Simone de Klerk said...

My first impulse: how can you deconstruct a kimono??? But then it would be wonderful to see the fabric used again. Great to hear details from the fabrics and how they were made. Thank you Nat, for the lovely post!

ria vogelzang said...

A beautiful kimono! What a great gift! And what a lovely idea to put your kimono-jacket to quilting use! Ofcourse it seems not logic to destruct a kimono, but like you said: if you didn't wear it in over 20 years; you can make better use of it this way!
Thanks for your links and video! I enjoyed them so much.
And I'm really curious how your progress turns out!
Have fun!

kaiteM said...

hi Nat, i had a thought just for you today - have you ever considered hosting a quilters' retreat to Japan? you know - shopping, sightseeing, history etc. i'm sure you could do it and it would be very popular...kaite

Lis Harwood said...

I was so happy to see this post Nat and that you have started on your process, it is going to be fascinating and emotional and it is such a privilege to be able to join you on the journey. It's a gorgeous haori by the way, great fabrics. And if you're leading that tour that Kaite suggests can you pick me up on the way please?!

Sue-Anne said...

Congratulations on making the decision to deconstruct the kimono. It is made from beautiful fabric and this way you will be able to utilise it and enjoy it at the same time (better than hanging in a wardrobe). I love your fabric purchases too and can't wait to see the ones you dye with indigo.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Nat...yes I will certainly follow you on this trip of deconstructing!!! I bet whatever you do will turn out great...Dzintra♥x

Nedra said...

With all the beautiful work you do, I'm sure the deconstructing project will turn out perfectly. I'll be following along to see your progress.

Anonymous said...

This is a most interesting post, Natima! I love those kimonos... Japanese fabrics are just lovely.

Hope all is well with you. I haven't heard very much from you lately.

Dot said...

Gorgeous Kimono's Nat. Look forward to seeing what you do with the fabric. Am drooling over your purchases from Ziguzagu. Lot's of lovely designs and colors.

twhIch aye said...

hi nat... came to see how you are doing... :) wow whatever you make from the fabric, it will no doubt be lovely. very courageous and i think it may make the future projects even more special.

- michele/twhich aye

Kim D. said...

What a beautiful Kimono and a great idea to take it apart if you don't wear it and make something that you will use.

Deb G said...

What a great way to keep something meaningful in your life... Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

ParisMaddy said...

Oh, Nat, your fabrics are simply divine. I bet they have a wonderful feel to them.

Your kimono fabric is luscious. It's the beginning of a beautiful journey that I can't wait to see the end results. Bon Voyage!

Micki said...

What a beautiful kimono and the fabric is just wonderful!
Micki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...