May 17, 2011

The Land of the Rising Sun

I came across an old Japanese calendar when we moved into a rented premises years ago. The calendar contains old prints from Katsushita Hokusai collections. We got them all framed and hung them in our home for years. The influence from those prints were my first love for Japanese crafts and textile.  The Katsushita Hokusai prints below are courtesy of Google image, but some of them are the same as what we have. 

I will be leaving to join The Silk Study Tour  to Japan on Wednesday May 18th. and return June 12th. This blog will be unattended during that time so I thought I would leave you these great prints to enjoy....! 

Beautiful Woman by Katsushita Hokusai

I hope while I'm in Japan I will see someone wearing a Kimono. I also hope to find some vintage Kimonos to bring back.
Hibiscus and Sparrow - Katsushika Hokusai

I also hope to visit some of the beautiful Japanese gardens. In my experience the whole of Japan is Japanese garden!

Tama River in Musashi Province, Edo

And see Mount Fuji from the train on my travel from Tokyo to Osaka. I had glimpse of it the last time I was in Japan. It was a breath-taking view!

Shibori Festival - Arimatsu

I know I will see lot of Shibori both on the display and in the making. Would you believe it? The annual Shibori Festival at Arimatsu will be on while I'm there. The event happens on the first weekend in June every year. We will be spending that weekend in Nagoya.

Ryogohu Bridge at Onmayagashi by Hokusai

Ryōgoku bridge at

Hokusai - from an animated sketch book

I hope to see some of these prints as well.

The great wave

BUT I  do hope I'm not going see this (The great wave!) 


If you want to follow this tour please go hereIt has been a rough road preparing for this trip after what has happened in Japan recently. Thanks goodness the road is now clear and the bag is now packed, I'm ready to follow this silk road to the land of the rising sun!!! 



16 comments:

susis quilts said...

dear natima,i wish you a very nice trip to japan,take care,susi

Suedio said...

Hi Nat, Hope you have the most wonderful time and look forward to hearing all about your travels when you get back.

Have fun, Sue.

antique quilter said...

have a wonderful trip!
take lots of pictures!!!!
Kathie

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

OMG Nat it's nearly time...I bet there won't be much sleep tonight...BON VOYAGE....ENJOY and have a wonderful wonderful trip...Lotsa love Dzintra

Nedra said...

Have a wonderful and SAFE trip! I'm looking forward to all the fabulous pictures and hearing all about it when you return.

Needled Mom said...

Have a wonderful time, Nat. I can't wait to read all about it when you come back. Safe journey!

Kim said...

I was wondering if you were going...safe travels, I hope you will bring us news and pictures of beauty that is still there. My heart breaks for all the displaced people with all the rubble that keeps them from rebuilding their villages and homes.
Happy Sewing, safe travels and good shopping!

Micki said...

Have a wonderful trip Nat! I know you will share your wonderful journey with us. I can't wait to see it all!
Micki

Jeannie said...

Safe travels and have a wonderful time! I am looking forward to your trip report(s) on your return. Of course, I am traveling vicariously with you! LOL! My husband (a very wise man) told me years ago "if you see it, want it, buy it. You never know if we will get back here or if it will be here on our return". Lesson is travel without regrets or I wish I had....

Janet said...

You're going to have a wonderful trip, I hope there are no waves. I have a very old calendar somewhere like that too, the pictures are beautiful in it. Safe travels!

Sandra said...

Have a nice journey, take care!

Kim D. said...

Have a safe trip Nat! The prints are just gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Japan hasn't been in the news much lately and I've been wondering how things are there after the devastion, I look forward to your reports.

Jacky said...

Hi Nat....I'm home from my trip...and finding it hard to find time to get back into blogging!!!!
Thinking of you on your wonderful trip. Will have to save some pennies and go next year...especially the shibori festival.
Have fun with Glennis and the other girls and I cant wait to hear all of your news and see all of your goodies (hope your suitcase was empty when you left!!!!).

Safe travels.

Jacky xox

ria vogelzang said...

Such great pictures, Nat!! Enjoy your trip and have great fun!! God bless you and have a safe trip!!
Love, Ria.

ParisMaddy said...

Hi Nat, I hope you are having the best time ever in the incredibly gorgeous Land OF THE Rising Sun. Your head must be filling with the simple beauty of their art and culture. I'm bursting with anticipation to hear all about it.

Bon Voyage. Maddy

india flint said...

hey Nat
i've really enjoyed reading all of your posts about your Japanese journey
thanks for the lovely images..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...