March 9, 2012

Japanese Textiles Continues

Not much is happening here at Notjustnat that I can show you. I have been making stuff for the tour and I can't spoil the surprise by showing them to you! I will make sure to take photos and show them to you after the tour is over. Yes, only 38 days until the Japanese Textile Study Tour begins!

Interesting to read about the tour preparation over at the Japanese Textile Workshop...


In the means time I continue to make more blocks for Trip around the world quilt I started here


Twelve blocks out of forty two are completed. Only thirty more blocks to make woo hoo! The interesting part of making them is the variety of vintage Japanese fabric I'm using.


Close up of the block. Can you see my eco-dyed fabric in there? I used vintage Japanese silk to dyed with. 


Before my first trip to Japan in 2010, I decided to make a quilt to make my trip more interesting. I was inspired by Kathie and her fence rail quilt. I invited Ria and Terry to make one with me as a challenge using Featherweight sewing machine. The challenge was called Featherweight challenge quilt. I got the border fabric from Japan on that trip. The top was finished awhile ago and I got it machine quilted recently. This quilt took me two years to complete. I'm happy to say it's finally finished. Sorry for the poor photo. It looks better in real life...




Enjoy
Nat




20 comments:

Terry said...

Only 38 days wow!! You must be getting excited I'm sure it will all go well.
The trip around the world quilt looks wonderful.
Nice that you finished the fence rail quilt. I use mine lots.
Happy weekend

Dot said...

Not long to go until your trip - very exciting! Your trip around the world quilt is shaping up beautifully. It will be a very special piece of art when it is finished.
Hugs
Dot

Janet said...

Both quilts are just gorgeous but congratulations on the fence rail finish. The time has gone fast, the trip is going to be so exciting.

Marit said...

LOVE your trips around the world quilt! Beautiful fabrics that blend really well in this pattern.
Would have loved to join a trip to Japan - have fun!

Lis Harwood said...

Both quilts are beautiful Nat, so accurate too. The countdown is definitely on now, see you in Tokyo :-)

Simone de Klerk said...

I remember Ria's picture of the Featherweight challenge. It was so much fun to see. Love your progress of the Quilt around the World!

Nedra said...

I love how your Scrappy Trips is turning out! So beautiful in the hand dyed blues. I need to keep working more on mine, too.

deanna7trees said...

love that you're using your hand dyed fabric in your latest quilt. it's looking beautiful. i can imagine how excited you are about your upcoming adventure.

Sujata Shah said...

I love them both! The trip around the world is so fascinating to me! Love the value and textures in the quilt.

Kim said...

Beautiful fabrics make even the simple squares look so rich and beautiful. Your quilts are just amazing....the indigo around that rail fence quilt just makes it POP.

Happy sewing, have a wonderful trip, I look forward to your pictures.

Jeannie said...

I love quilts like these. I can look at them for hours, appreciating the patterns and the beautiful fabrics. The indigo border is delicious.

onesmallstitch said...

both quilts are fantastic, love the use of your hand dyed fabrics. See you soon.

Astrid said...

Hi Nat! :) Love your Rail fence quilt and the TATW quilt in blues is awesome! Love it! I can easely imagine you are counting days now! :) Wonderful weekend to you and yours!

ParisMaddy said...

Nat, Nat, special Nat, your quilts are simply amazing. The blue in the first one is stunning and a real draw for my eye. I love them both. I am so happy for you and your Japan trip. It is a dream that I'd like to make one day, too. Truth and beauty to you on this wonderful journey.

Bev C said...

Hello Nat,

Counting down to your trip must be so much fun. Congrats on your finished quilt. Happy days and have a wonderful weekend.
Bev.xoxo

blandina said...

The Fence quilt is beautiful, I think that whatever you do looks fantastic.
I can not believe that our trip is so close...

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

All looking good Nat....wow, only 38 days to go...boy time flies...bet you can't wait!!!

Moon Goddess said...

I can't wait to see you and all the wonderful goodies you are making! :)

antique quilter said...

so glad you finished your rail fence it looks great and wasn't it fun to make!
I am in awe over the trip around the world quilt....the fabrics are just beautiful, love the textures and colors of the fabrics your using...
keep sharing I am in awe over this one!
Kathie

Gypsys Daughter said...

Hi Nat,
I have always wanted to visit Japan! I am so envious of your trip! Will you be able to post from there? I hope so. Be sure to take lots of pictures of the textiles you
see! I'm looking into your Sakiori weaving. I'm taking a
workshop in August in Saori weaving which sounds interesting. It's at the Saori weaving school in Worcester, MA. Also planning to hopefully do Shibori in June with Sara Goodman. I love the Japanese techniques and the subtle patterns you can get! Enjoy your day and thanks for visiting me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...