I didn't start knitting until recently, but I do love it. The trouble with my knitting is understanding the pattern. I'm lucky to have many friends who can translate the patterns for me. I'm getting better at it now. I suppose practice makes perfect!
This winter my library received a copy of "How Tea Cosies Changed the World" by Loani Prior. The tea cosy on the front cover is so inviting that I had to make one. Luckily the pattern is easy and straight forward so that I didn't have a problem following it. I'm happy to say that I finished it by the end of our winter and can't wait to use it soon.
This tea cosy is called wood fungus and I started knitting from the top down. The bottom part was knitted separately. They are double layers of the bottom part. I suppose it's to keep the tea hot longer. I really love it and I am very very happy with my knitting.
I got so carried away with the knitting that after I finished the tea cosy I started knitting a pair of fingerless gloves. I got the pattern off Ravelry. There are so many versions of the patterns on Ravelry, but this one is simple enough for me to follow.
After that I thought I would knit a pair for DGD too. I'm using the same pattern as mine, but smaller yarn and needles. I will make these longer, I think they would be cute for her to wear up her arms.
Moving on to a crochet scarf. I have used this pattern many times now and love it. Thanks to Jacky who shared the pattern with me. I have not finished it yet, but I am very close to doing it.
I will get back to weaving before I forget it. I got myself a nice loom "Susan". It's a 4-shaft Swedish loom made from beautiful timber. It used to belong to Susan so I named it after her.
If you remembere I spun some yarns for this. I'm using the yarn to weave this scarf, but I'm also using a commercial yarn I found second hand for the warp threads. This is just a practice run. After this, I will be making a rag rug (sakiori) using my eco-dyed silk.
Last Saturday I was showing Jacky how to make a book using Coptic binding. Both Jacky and I did an online art journal workshop with Roxanne. I can now use this book for my next art journal.
We both used discarded dust jackets from my library for the covers. We inserted Japanese handmade papers on some of the signatures as part of the decorations. I'm very happy with my book and can't wait to start using it.
I can't finish this post without showing my dyeing result using mango seeds. When I was in Bangkok earlier this year I was told that all parts of a mango are good for dyeing. Mangos have started to come on the market now that the weather is getting warmer. I had one for the first time this year and as I was about to throw the mango seed away I remembered that I can use it for dyeing! I wrapped the silk around it and dropped it in the liquid I was boiling with bindweed and a rusty horse shoe. I left it sitting for a few days and when I opened it I had a pleasant surprise!
Needless to say I have two more bundles waiting to be opened right now. Forgot to say that I put mango peel in the bundles too. Nothing is going to waste from mangos from now on.
Until next time