November 4, 2013

Connecting with Nature Exhibition

What a relief now that the exhibition "Connecting with Nature" had been installed. My friend Ayako, Mr Notjustnat and I worked hard installing the exhibits at the Monash Gallery of Art, here in Melbourne. It was a great help from Mr Notjustnat's long arms to reach inside the cabinets where our arms are too short to get to. Most of the exhibits are installed except some final adjustment to be done just before the opening next Saturday 9 Nov. 

We have been so lucky to have our exhibition at the Monash Gallery of Art. Even though we are not part of the photography exhibit in the main gallery. I'm very happy because I think our space is very suitable, with an abundance of the natural light. It has a good flow of visitors and library users walking through it all day. To get the use of the venue free of charge is an added bonus. Our items are not for sale so we wouldn't be able to do it if we have to pay for it...


This is the third time we exhibited here. There are ample parking spots outside of the gallery. There is a coffee-shop for visitors and library and main photography gallery are in the same building complex. 


Most of you would have already seen the work I posted on my blog. It's nice to pull together and exhibit all the different items in one place. The Indigo theme contains dyed threads, a bag and a couple of coiled baskets.


In one of the coiled baskets I put dried indigo leaves and dried flowers. To think that those green leaves produce the most beautiful indigo blue, mind bogging! 


Another display is my ecoprint fabric. Mr Notjustnat kindly built the rack as per specs for me. It works perfectly with the help of natural light coming through from the back entrance. It's a great display!


Just below the ecoprint display is an ecoprint dyeing process. I will take a better photo next time. The cloth at the back is there temporarily because I had not quite finished the slow-cloth I have been stitching the day we set up the exhibits. I have since finished it and will replace the one in the picture with it. The display is self-explanatory. It's an interesting process to display. 


A close up of the bundle partly opened to show the process. Luckily the leaves imprint works  perfectly on wool fabric. I used Eucalyptus sideroxylon (Iron bark) leaves for this one. 


In another cabinet opposite on the top shelf are paintings by Jane Rumbold. She painted a nature theme to go with our exhibition theme "Connecting with Nature". On the bottom shelf are two of my framed ecoprints on silk.


A closer look at the framed ecoprints. This is the first time I have framed my ecoprints. There should always be a reason to do things, and this is a good reason to do it. 


Another display of my work. A Sakiori rug I wove last year and a few baskets made by plant fibres. Two more coiled baskets; one made from fancy Japanese paper and the other from scrap fabric. 


These two shelves are from Ayako and Jocelyn. On the top shelf Jocelyn made a crazy quilt evening bag, a couple of handmade books, some glass jewelry and a painting of Eucalyptus leaves. 


On the bottom shelf the exhibits by Ayako. She pieced Bojagi, the Korean wrapping cloth using remnants from her mother's Kimono. She also made two coiled baskets using Japanese paper. 

The exhibition opening is next Saturday, 9 November. I'm looking forward to it now that it's all set up except for some minor touches. I get inspired and excited every time I put on an exhibition. I really enjoy curating exhibitions. I worked full-time for 6 years in the role of events and exhibition organiser. This experience comes in handy when I organise my own exhibition!  I will blog about the opening in my next post. 

Until next time
Nat





12 comments:

deanna7trees said...

beautiful presentation. love how people can see how you achieve your dyed prints...very informative for the viewers.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Fantastic Nat...looks like a great exhibition! Congratulations!

judib said...

Well done, Nat. You have been very busy and I am certain everybody will enjoy seeing what you do in your 'spare' time. The walks you Akers collecting leaves and bits and pieces will all make sense to them now.

Needled Mom said...

OMGoodness, Nat. That looks so fabulous! I really wish I lived close enough to visit the exhibit.

Kim said...

Wow you did a great job it looks very professional and everything looks so interesting, I'd love to look and linger over your work. I hope you have a great turnout and enjoy watching the viewers. Are you there to answer questions on viewing days?

Happy Sewing

neki desu said...

beautiful work and presentation. congratulations.

Lis Harwood said...

Thank you for allowing those of us not in Melbourne to see your wonderful exhibition, you have all worked hard and the displays are so sympathetic with the items and theme. Wonderful.

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Congratulations Nat. It looks fabulous. Well done you and all the artists. Sorry to miss it. The very best.
Loani

Nedra said...

You have worked hard creating items for this Exhibit. I see your touch in every display :) congratulations on a well done show.

Suzanna said...

Beautiful exhibit, Nat!

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Your display is Perfect!! With out words it teaches and celebrates Eco dyeing. Wish I lived closer to see it in person.

Heather said...

What a fantastic looking exhibit! Really elegant display. Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...