January 16, 2010

Friday Night Sew-in: Baskets and Heart

As part of Friday Night Sew-in organized by Heidi and Bobbi. I know that we bloggers in Australia and New Zealand are early birds and have the advantage of posting what we have been working on before our friends in Europe and the North America. I just checked the latest entries quickly before I sat down and wrote this post. There are 149 entries in total. Well done to Heidi and Bobbi to come up with such fantastic activities for us to play with. I normally take stitches most evenings anyway, but this is extra fun stitching something with purpose and getting to show them to the world...! Thanks so much for visiting and I hope you will leave me a comment to let me know that you have been here. Below is what I made on Friday Night Sew-In

I have been inspired by many bloggers who are working on this basket block especially Kathie
from Inspired by Antique Quilts. Kathie kindly gave me some background information of what she does with her basket blocks. The original design was from Blackbird Designs, When the Cold Wind Blows book which I have got. I made my block slightly bigger than the original. I hope I will need fewer blocks to complete this quilt!
These blocks are totally made from fabrics in my stash. The background fabrics came from upholstery samples and other fabrics that I found from op-shops. I would like to use up what I have in my stash without having to buy any new fabrics. I get so excited when I can re-purpose my creations.
This heart is also from re-purposed fabric. The fabric came from an old cushion cover I found at an op-shop. I actually found two pieces for only $0.50 each. The fabric is mixed linen and cotton with embroidery around the outside border. I managed to cut the heart shape out of it and I think I have enough to make 12 or more hearts from 2 cushions. Hooray, that will be enough ornaments for next Christmas.

I really enjoyed my Friday Night Sew-In working on the basket blocks and the heart, watching my favorite program, 'Midsomer Murder', and sipping many cups of tea. Hope you all enjoyed your night as much as I did. Thanks again Heidi and Bobbi for a load of fun sew-in night.

31 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Your basket blocks are adorable! Love the heart too. :-)

Kaye said...

Isn't is nice to be able to make such good use from scraps? Love the baskets and the Hearts, they are adorable. Glad you enjoyed your Fri nite quilt in, have a great week-end

Anonymous said...

Great work Natima. I love your little baskets. I've been seeing them on my blogging travels too and have thought they were a project I'd like to do. They look great. Terrific that you're using from your stash, too.

You know I love the hearts and your re-purposed fabric is fantastic. What a great find.

I enjoyed the Sew-In, too. Nice to think of our fellow bloggers around the world with needle in had - all creating in combined stitching sisterhood!

Regards,

Sue

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Good Morning Nat...well done you did heaps!!! I haven't put my sew in stuff up yet...but I admit I did get distracted every time Johnny Depp came on...And of course I had chocolate to go with Chocolat!!! Have a great day...we are taking Christmas down today LOL...Dzintra♥x

retdairyqueen said...

A very productive evening Well done
Love the heart

susis quilts said...

dear natima,lovely heart and wonderful baskets,i loved to do this quilt,hugs,susi

Terry said...

Great OP Shop find. The delicate embroidery is you even if your making something new from something old.

Your baskets are cute. I like their background. Should we ask others to guess where it is?

Terry

antique quilter said...

oh your baskets are adorable!
Love the way the background fabric adds so much interest to the blocks....yes mine is from my fabric collection too
I did not buy any fabric for this quilt.
oh my I love the heart, very nice fabric what texture it gives the heart
Kathie

Jane said...

Hi Nat, I adore your little baskets, they are so cute. I too enjoyed the friday sew-in,
Hugs xxx

Lis Harwood said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Nat. I'm so glad you did as I then visited yours and saw the lovely baskets you did last night and the even more gorgeous hearts - I love the buttons and the embroidery on them. Glad you had a good sew-in, it was fun wasn't it? Love Lis x

ria vogelzang said...

Such lovely baskets, Nat! I whish I could join you all...... , just to much to do overhere..... Love you hearts as well! Thanks for enjoying your pictures and blog.
Have a great weekend! Hugs!

Bev C said...

Hello Natima, thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad that I found someone else who repurposes material and is using up there stash. Love you little hearts. Your Christmas tree will sparkle with love this year. Happy days.

Jocelyn said...

Hi Nat! Your baskets turned out beautifully! You were very productive ;-) Wasn't the Friday Night Sew-In fun??

Nedra said...

I've been enjoying seeing your basket blocks over the last few months. And I love the heart you made out of repurposed fabric. What a great idea! I'm tucking that one away in the idea file.
All of your hearts are putting me in the mood for Valentines Day.

Kim said...

I was just looking at Kathie's baskets last night and admiring her log cabin blocks too! What a lot of work, but yours look wonderful too! The hearts? Simply terrific! I've made stuffed hearts for my Valentine's Day tree and embellished them, but I like your idea of using fabric that's already embroidered, and I like the use of the buttons too. Finally, Midsomer Murders? I LOVE that show but BBC America doesn't show it any more, darn it! Lucky you!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Your baskets are so cute, Nat! I have to check out Friday night sew-in.

Mescrap said...

I so much love the heart.

Sandy said...

Cute basket blocks. Sew-In was so much fun!

Lori said...

I enjoyed myself too. The baskets are too cute!

Micki said...

I love the baskets and the heart Nat...You did a lot and obviously enjoyed yourself!
Micki

Libby said...

I love those little baskets so much! and You are using your stash...always a good thing! That little heart will make a sweet ornament! I enjoyed the Sew In so much!
Libby

Beth Karese said...

Your baskets look great. What a smart idea for the background fabrics! I hope there's another Sew-in soon.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Baskets are so popular right now, I think I might be getting "the bug" too. What a great idea for using those samples.

Cath Ăś said...

I missed this one yesterday... Love those baskets..
Cath Ăś

Bobbi said...

the baskets are adorable! love the heart too!!! welcome to friday nights! (we are trying to do it monthly...but around xmas time we did a few more due to so many projects in the fire)

Paula said...

Hi Natima. This Friday Night Sew-In sounds interesting. I will have a look at it. Your baskets are really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a great sewing night you had - love those baskets, and that heart is absolutely gorgeous.

Kim D. said...

Hi Nat, Your baskets are beautiful and I love the heart.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Love those basket blocks -- they're so pretty! I'm so excited you'll be joining us for the Valentine Party -- can't wait to see what pretty project you'll be working on!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I did enjoy you blog - well done!
In fact delicious to the eye!

kaiteM said...

The baskets are lovely, i showed them to my Mum, Coralie, you met her in Bathurst a few years ago. I found your blog via Terry. Nice to be able to catch up with you, Terry often speaks about you and your work. Kaite

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...