April 26, 2009

Mixed Media Workshop

Last Sunday I had a mixed media workshop at my friend Lynette's place. It was part of our Sewing Basket of Vic (SBOV) session. Lynette showed Lynda and I free motion machine embroidery. We worked on fabrics and paper collages. It was a lot of fun and I used some of the hand-dyed fabrics and threads I did the other week. They are perfect mediums for mixed media projects.

This is the one I made out of fibre and fabrics. I stacked about 4 layers of different fabrics plus the pink plastic netting I had found lying on the street that morning. Then I did the free motion machine embroidery on the whole piece just like writing with the sewing machine. I changed threads a couple of times to get different effects. It is still a work in progress. 

This picture shows the paper collage and the crazy quilt block Lynda made for me for our suitcase challenge and my purple collage. I will make a journal cover out of the purple piece and use the paper collage for a Coptic stitch book cover.

Lynda with her work in progress. I am sure she would have finished it by now. I will take some photos of her project the next time I see her. 

This is Lynette with her paper collage that she was working on. She was drawing with a gel pen. We had a fabulous day that day. Lynette fed us with homemade soup and homemade bread that her husband kindly made for us. Thanks Lynette for your expert tuition and letting us play at your house.

Enjoy

6 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Nat what beautiful colours...I really love those rich purple colours...Sounds like a good day, Dzintra ♥x

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty and how clever for you to use that plastic like that.. can't wait to see the finished piece.

Micki said...

I love your work in progress! Thread painting is so much fun! Great job!
Micki

Anonymous said...

These look so beautiful and like so much fun to make! I can't wait to see it completed. So exquisite.

Mescrap said...

I love the rich purple colours. For me, the purple is really not a easy colours to deal with.
I impress with all your quilt works.

Marie Reed said...

I wish that we had workshops like this in my town!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...