September 20, 2012

Post Bangkok and More

I'm home after two weeks away in Bangkok. On the last few days I went exploring Bangkok looking for birthday and Christmas gifts. Bangkok is a great place for gifts. It has a great variety of hand made and traditional Thai gifts. 

Chatuchak market is a great place for gifts. Part of  Chatuchak  market is outdoor and the rest is in JJ Mall. I mainly stayed in JJ Mall to keep cool. At JJ Mall I came across a cute little shop that sells only naturally dyed products. I took a couple of photos to show you.


This framed photo above I found at the front of the shop. It shows the indigo dye process. I can see that they are using indigo flora plants in Thailand, not Japanese indigo.


A lot of the items in the shop were indigo and natural dyed. What I found interesting was the dye using mango leaves. I have heard of this before, but haven't tried it myself. I was also told that mango is a good sourse of dye too. Mango leaves give out a greenish shade.


The brownish shade was from bark I was told. These scarves were hand woven. Most of them were cotton and silk mixed. They were so soft to touch. Even though they are quite expensive I had to have a scarf that combined natural dye and weaving. It was hard to choose, so in the end I got one with mango leaves dyed woven using indigo warp. The warps extended to the fringe, oh I'm in love!


I thought some of you would like this wall. It's part of the back drop for a coffee shop. The blue and white crockery were a mix of new and old. I just love them and wish there were on my wall.


Now for the stitching I did during the two weeks. I had this vest ready to stitch before I left. I knew it would keep me going for a long time. Longer than two weeks that I was away. All the patches are from my eco-dyed silk. I patched over a commercially wrap-over vest that I also dyed. I think I had almost finished stitching the front by the time I left Bangkok.


The back view of the vest, not yet stitched. I know now that I'm back I won't have much time to stitch it. I have been enjoying stitching on it. It was a lot of fun.


By the second week in Bangkok I still had two pieces of un-dyed silk left. There was plenty of turmeric in the breakfast room and I thought it would be a shame not to use them. I stitched some simple shibori patterns on both pieces. This time I beat the  turmeric up finely and added boiling water together with the stitched silk. After two days I opened the pieces and they were both covered in a rich yellow colour from the turmeric. If you are looking for yellow,  turmeric  will give you great result.


This is not  turmeric. It was from a shell of a mango steen, a Thai fruit. This is a cotton napkin that I soaked overnight in soy milk. I didn't know what to expect, but the result was very pleasing I must say!


If you remembered I had some bundles unopened before I left. I could hardly wait to open them when I got home. The bundles where dried and mouldy in some places. I was told by a friend that the mould is okay; it can easily wash off.


I had used some daffodils for dyeing. This is the result of it. The yellow didn't turn out so well, but you can still see the imprints of daffodils.


Here is the fabric from the bundles I dyed before I went to Bangkok. 

Amazing how Eco dye is becoming more than just dyed fabric, but a piece of art. I use my dyed fabric in many of my clothes and other art work, but I have seen many exhibitions that show them as they are. I'm glad I got into Eco dyeing. It has given me lot of knowledge about plants, colour and a lot of fun too.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. My apologies if I haven't visited you as much as I would like. I will start visiting again now that I'm back. 

Until next time
Nat



Follow Me on Pinterest

20 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

The vest turned out so pretty. Just love the back of it!
And what wonderful pieces of dye art you are showing us. It must always be so exciting to open the bundles!

Nedra said...

So nice to have you back Nat! What beautiful finds :) It must have been so fun to go shopping in there.

Nedra said...

It's so nice to have you back Nat. It must have been so wonderful to go shopping in Bangkok. Beautiful colors!

Needled Mom said...

I just love coming to your blog and see the gorgeous pieces!!! The luscious colors in that shop are amazing. I love that green!

The tumeric dying is wonderful I LOVE the yellow.

I'll bet that the stitching on the vest was very relaxing and is going to be a beautiful piece of art when you are finished with it. Great work, Nat.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Natima.
Hugs Lynda xxx

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

So exciting Nat to open up bundles that you did before you left....And glad you got home safely xoxo

Jeannie said...

Welcome home! What a beautiful post full of eye candy and ideas! The vest is gorgeous!!! I love the variety and yet it is subtle. The wall of pottery, oh my!!! The scarves, cloth, colors, a feast for the eyes! Wishing you a beautiful rest of the week.

Yvette said...

have to do a second read here....what beauty you shared!

you're in my blogrol already

nice " knowing" you

deanna7trees said...

oh my ... everything you have posted is so beautiful. and i especially love all that blue and white. lots of inspiration here, as usual.

Peggy said...

Hi Nat -- a wonderful post, I always love your way of showing and writing about the places you visit. Those turmeric pieces with the shibori stitching are just amazing. And I'm wondering why when I soak a cotton napkin in soy milk and make a bundle, it doesn't even hold a candle to yours!?! But you always give me hope for my next bundle, yes you do! ;) And I'm loving how the vest is growing. xo

Nancy said...

Hello Nat! As usual...beautiful. Your dye work just becomes more and more lovely :) But that vest...OH that vest is amazing!!!

antique quilter said...

love reading your posts about your travels, the vest is beautiful
I agree wish those plates/pottery was on my wall!
just beautiful
oh my those fabrics are incredible....
you know i have a love affair with indigos
those scarfs are beautiful... din't you just want one of each! ok I would have chosen the green one
unique
Kathie

Lis Harwood said...

Oh I am in a blissful state seeing that fabric and those gorgeous ceramics. I can imagine you came home with a very full suitcase. Your waistcoat is coming along beautifully, it is so "you". Oh, how gorgeous. Welcome home.

blandina said...

The indigo scarfs are beautiful, I wouldn't have known which one to buy!
The white and blu ceramics picture is quite a sight.

Hoola Tallulah said...

I drooled all over my keyboard, this post is so full of goodness, and your vest, WOW, breathtaking!

Terry said...

You seem so content in yourself these days. Your posts and work reflect a a peaceful soul. The vest is beautiful.

Judy said...

Hi Nat,
I left a very long comment, and then Blogger lost it. I am so frustrated by that!
I loved reading your post. Welcome home and I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip. Your vest is gorgeous, and your dyed pieces are fabulous!
Like you, I'm so glad to have started eco dyeing and printing!

xoxoxo

Kim said...

Oh I bet this vest look fabulous on you Nat! Lovely work :0).

Happy Sewing

Unknown said...

This is actually good to read content of this blog. A is very general and huge knowledgeable platform has been known by this blog. I in reality appreciate this blog to have such kind of educational knowledge.
โรงพิมพ์ราคาถูก

Hamna Javed said...

good to see this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...