October 26, 2016

Quilts and Driving Holiday

I think I mentioned earlier that Mr Notjustnat and I are heading to Hokkaido for a driving holiday in November. November is almost here already! So we are off in less than two weeks. Can hardly wait!

But before we leave I will share with you what I did in the last couple of weeks. I have continued work on the yellow crumbs quilt. I've finished piecing all 230 blocks and started putting 4 blocks unit together. It looks quite amazing actually. I have also made a lil boro pincushion using the threads keeper filled with off-cut threads. It took me a couple years before I filled the keeper. Thanks to Deanna for a great idea to made it into a pincushion! 

Having stayed at home for two weeks after the surgery I've unearthed many long forgotten projects, one of which is the little 2" x 2" fan blocks I started long ago! To my surprise I actually made nearly enough for a nice small quilt. I only need about 50 more blocks. I'm really enjoying hand applique and hand piecing these fan blocks. I so love the vintage Japanese fabric I'm using too!

Please scroll down to the end of this post to read about our Hokkaido driving holiday...

Boro pincushion made from threads keeper

A tin full of little fan blocks ready for attention

Putting 4 little blocks into a unit

Stack of 230 blocks of yellow crumbs quilt

begin putting units of 4 blocks together

A driving holiday in Hokkaido! After a few trips to Japan Honshu island I thought we will visit Hokkaido the norther island in Japan. We decided to take a driving holiday by hire car. We won't be able to do the whole island, but I think we will see the most picturesque of the place.  

Hokkaido old map

Otaru Canal in Hokkaido

There will be plenty of photos to share on Instagram, FB and Twitter. For both of us this is also a photography holiday. I'm really excited to discover wonderful scenery in towns and villages. Another highlight for me is visiting onsens (Japanese baths). Hokkaido is famous for its natural hot spring onsens.

Will bring back lots of photos to share with you when I return,

Until then
Nat  


9 comments:

deanna7trees said...

Those fan blocks are gorgeous and love your pincushion design. Have a great trip. Will follow you on Instagram.

Nifty Quilts said...

So many wonderful little pieces! Those fans are exquisite and your yellow crumbs are charming. Beautiful pin cushion too! Have fun on your holiday!

Terry said...

All the quilts are lovely. The fan quilt is similar to the crazy quilt one. Now you will have two the same but different. How many similar works make a series? Is there going to be a series of yellow quilts?
You and Tom enjoy the trip.

Bev C said...

Hello Nat,

Love the fan quilt, are you doing it by hand or machine. Enjoy your holiday I am envious. Enjoy those hot springs.

Happy days.
Bev.

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE that pincushion!! Looking forward to seeing photos from your driving trip. It should be spectacular.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Ahhh you both are going to have so much fun on your Driving Holiday! Yellow Crumb is just so happy! Bon Voyage!

susis quilts said...

dear nat and tom,we´ve been in sweden the last two weeks and escaped the snow just in time when we had to travel home. it is a year ago when we had you here and spent a wonderful time with you,have a nice time in japan,anton and susi

Kim said...

Nat are you on Facebook? I wanted to ask you some questions and if you have FB we can do it through private messages........otherwise my email is Kabquilting@yahoo.com.
Safe travels and Happy Sewing!

liniecat said...

Exquisite little fan blocks and I adore your boro pin cushion too !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...