December 2, 2016

Hokkaido Driving Holiday Part 1

Hokkaido driving holiday is done and dusted! In theory, the trip is over, but my vivid memories of the trip are as clear as day! We did a lot in two weeks so I won't be able to fit our experiences in one post. I will divide them into categories for example, food, people, weather, art, craft and shopping. 

In this post, Part 1, I will share the unexpected experience we encountered when we arrived at New Chitose Airport in Sapporo - it was covered in snow. The snow arrived a month earlier than normal in Hokkaido. It was lucky for us because I can't remember the last time I was in the snow! It was a most beautiful sight for me! We took so many photos of snow you might be sick seeing them! 

We took a short train ride from the airport to Asahikawa where we picked up the car. We stayed in Asahikawa for 2 nights from the recommendation of DS when he took the family (Bike Babies) there a few years ago. 

On the full day we spent in Asahikawa, we visited the Weaving and Dyeing Museum and right across the lawn that was covered in the snow was a Snow Museum (surprise, surprise!). You can imagine I was in heaven there for a couple of hours. 

First landing at the airport - clearing the runway
so our plane could taxi to the gate.

They remind me of snow cones

Sounkyo Ropeway snow field

Our rented car for the trip

The food in Japan is to die for. I will go back there time and time again just for the food! I love smaller portions of all the sweets in Japan. Food is beautifully presented and delicious! I have many favourites. Too many to write about here. Below are some cool photos of the food I really enjoyed!

Fresh ramen at Nemuro

Japanese breakfast at the hotel in Furano

We found great coffee at Furano Cafe

Nemuro is famous for crabs! 

Japanese people are kind, helpful, generous, polite and beautiful people! We only know basic Japanese, but positive body language goes a long way in Japan. 

Sumo wrestling is still popular in Japan.
I love the tradition of the sport and the costumes
rather than the sport itself!

Met this cho kawaii (super cute)
child in a supermarket. 

A lady at a small kiosk at Sapporo JR Station.

The lovely couple at the
vintage fabric store in Asahikawa.

On part 2 of our Hokkaido driving holiday, I will share with you more photos and stories from the trip. I could easily book the next trip back to Japan right now, but the world is a big place and there are so many places I would love to visit as well.

Hope you are gearing up for Christmas. It still amazes me how fast it comes! One good thing about working is that my calendar is filled with Christmas activities whether I like it or not! I hope to put up my Christmas decorations this weekend. How about you?

Until next time
Nat








7 comments:

deanna7trees said...

so glad you enjoyed your trip. enjoyed seeing all your images on Instagram. looking forward to the next episode of your trip adventures.

Needled Mom said...

I so enjoyed your IG posts along the way. It sounds like a great place to visit.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Great shots Nat! We have a new Restaurant here....French/Japanese (interesting combination!). Haven't tried it yet but good reports coming out! We are hoping to decorate today!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear (read) more. :) Helen

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Japan is on by "bucket" list. I'm glad your enjoying your trip and thank you for sharing it with us!

Bonnie A said...

Hello Nat,
I happened upon your blog but spending more time on the computer than I should but what a find! I love your work and am particularly interested in your eco-printing with eucalyptus. I live in Vancouver so the only source is through florists and I can't seem to ever get the beautiful reds you seem to be able to get. Do you have any suggestions?
My e-mail is badie@telus.net and would love to hear from you.

You are SO creative and produce so much - you're an inspiration.

Many thanks,
Bonnie

DreamNT said...

I think you understand what I'm doing.










สงครามที่โลกจดจำ

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...