May 18, 2015

Blog Book and More

The blog book I ordered has arrived. I've been trying to come up with an idea how to print my blog. Both Mr Notjustnat and I came up with various ways, but in the end I decided to get it printed with Blog2Print. I decided to print one year at a time. My first book for the 2014 posts has arrived. The next one is ordered and it is on its way. I'm very happy with how it looks and feels. The photos are as clear as I see on the web. 

Apart from that, I had a busy couple of weeks yet again. I visited a great exhibition: Exquisite Threads, English Embroidery 1600-1900s. I took some photos of my favourite pieces to share with you here.

I was sick for most of last week. The doctor ordered for me to stay home during that time. No good giving my cold to the rest of the team at work! The weather was horrible the whole time I was home, but I managed to complete small sewing projects and put on a batch of dye during that time.

My first blog book for 2014

2014 when I went on a textile trip to Vientiane
Luang Prabang and Siem Reap.

Below are some photos of the embroideries at the Exquisite Threads Exhibition. The first one is a Bible cover from the early 17th century. What caught my attention was the work of free-form embroidery. To use it for a Bible cover was comforting to me because I'm making the same things, but for journal covers.  

Bible cover-early 17th century

Part of my hand-stitched journal cover

My 2015 travel journal cover

Coif - early 17th century. Linen, silk, gilt-metal
(thread, spangles)

Section of a larger embroidery panel 

Stomacher - early 18th century

Below are a few small projects I worked on while I was home sick:

Shibori stitched on linen dress, socks and
cotton threads ready for indigo dye

Quilt label for Red Star and Blue Sea
quilt posted here

The Civil War block I made using Barbara
Brackman's free patterns that I posted here 

I was given walnut hulls a couple of weeks ago. I soaked them until they were ready to be used. Steeping is another way to cook dye bundles. The liquid you steep bundles in could be anything from natural sources. All bundles for this batch had been steeped in walnut bath. 

Jars and bundles ready to be opened

Unwrapped bundle of wool and Eucalyptus

A peak into another bundle of silk and Eucalyptus

Another bundle using different Eucalyptus

Autumn maple leaves on vintage silk

Silk scarf dyed in walnut bath
Lucky find:

My sweet Abela

A lucky find for this post is not what I found recently, but it was a lucky find I found 15 years ago on eBay. This sweet Singer Featherweight is my proud and joy and I enjoy her every time I sew with her. I only use her to sew vintage fabric. I named her Abela to remind me of an Arabic name for a beautiful little girl. Abela was made in Scotland, but I got her from Texas, USA. 

Until next time
Nat

11 comments:

neki desu said...

thanks for sharing all that info .your bundles gorgeous as ever

deanna7trees said...

oh such beautiful images. the blog book looks wonderful. thanks for sharing the museum images. i always appreciate that....like a virtual visit. that 17th century bible cover is stunning. happy to hear you are feeling better.

Els said...

I hope you have recovered a bit Nat !!!

Love the old embroidery and all of your new dye results, you really are a magician there !

Your travel journal will be filled with lots of nice experiences this year .... (and I might even get a glimpse !)

Bev C said...

Hello Nat,

I can't get over how modern the bible cover looks. Amazing stitching on the exhibition items. So many beautiful threads were used. Love the story behind your little machine, they always seem to go on for ever the older machines. Built so much better than now days. Have a great week.

Happy days.
Bev.

Terry said...

Beautiful post. The images are stunning and I will keep them in mind while working through the exercises in the gym. Rehab for this hip is a bit tougher. BUT there is a cruise in Nov.
The book looks great.

Yoga said...

Hi Natima I am as excited as you have been when I read about 1st BLOG2print. The cover looks very pleasing. continue to print thevrest of your blogs. Yoga

Needled Mom said...

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Those bugs are so tiring.

I love the blog book. That is such a great idea.

I love your dying results. It is a great time of the year for dying. Your journal stitching is also beautiful.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a great post Nat! Love the blog book...I get one done every year!

Obat Penghilang Tato said...

Wow very interesting "Vimax Asli"
all that you give here can be my inspiration to find a lot of new ideas
Thanks

Contoh Vimax Asli Berhologram Dupont Izon
Vimax Asli Terbaru Hologram 3D Dupont Izon
Vimax Asli Original Canada Terbuat dari Bahan Herbal
Contoh Vimax Asli dan Palsu Terbaru
Efek Samping Vimax Asli Canada Terbaru
Harga Vimax Asli Terbaru di Indonesia

Mebel Jepara said...

This is the best reference sources that I was looking for
I hope to get a lot of new ideas from you
Thank you Furniture Jepara

Vimax Asli said...

Very good idea you've shared here, from here I can be a very valuable new experience. all things that are here will I make the source of reference, thank you friends.

Vimax
Vimax Asli
Vimax Canada
Vimax Indonesia
Furniture Jepara Mebel Jepara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...