July 27, 2009

Myra is in town

My friend Myra was visiting me last weekend. Myra was my travel buddy last year when we travel to five glorious countries. Myra lives in Bathurst, NSW. She comes to Melbourne every year to visit her brother and his family. Now that I live here Myra would make sure that she comes and stays with us at least for the weekend. This year Myra planned to be here during the Craft and Quilt Fair so that we could go together. Myra is also a quilter and her favorite quilting method is scrap quilt. What a day we had at the show...!

Here are the three of us. From left is myself, Myra and Helen, Myra's sister-in-law, who is also a quilter. That was our second break for the day. We needed coffee fixes every couple of hours after walking and shopping.

A quick snap into the exhibition area. I tried not to take photos of people, but it was hard to avoid that on a day like this. I could not tell how many quilts were on exhibit. What I enjoyed most were the Australian antique quilts. They ranged from a tiny hexagon quilt that was totally hand pieced to tiny strips of log-cabin quilt. I did not get a good photo of them so I can only show you the better photos of the quilts below:

These bears are my favorite. They must have been twin bears because they were made exactly the same way from antique quilts. They were part of the Log-cabin community exhibition. I love this scrap quilt that the bears were sitting on. It is a true scrap quilt in every way.

The crazy quilt above was a raffle quilt made by members of the Victorian Quilters Inc. The quilt was true style crazy quilt and included all type of embroidery stitches, applique motives and embelishment. The rich variety of fabrics used was fantastic. I have a collection of fabrics to make a crazy quilt one of these days. Myra and I were talking that we would like to make one as a project to remind us of our trip.

The last quilt is this applique picture perfect quilt showing Australian birds. The quilt caught my eye because it displays some of Australia's native birds that we often see right in our backyard. It was beautifully quilted too.

7 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Nightowl!!! That Crazy Quilt is glorious...love those jewel colours...and that Aussie one is fantastic!!! Great photo of you 3 gals too...I like coffee breaks too...looking forward to catching up with you...over coffee of course...Nightingale Queen♥x

Feedsack Fantasy said...

I'm still looking for the feedsacks .. don't they have any? TTFN ~Marydon

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time the 3 of you had and oh my goodness those quilts are beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. The photos are great and yes, I too like those little teddies, they are so cute. But the quilt at the end, the one with all the birds on it, well, it is just stunning.
Hugz xxx

Marlene said...

Looks like you had a great time. Aren't those quilts just stunning.

Lurline said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun at the show, too - that's good! Nice to meet up with your friends!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Anonymous said...

Natima,

What a fun day! I absolutely love those bears too!! It's too bad I don't know how to make bears, or I would make Gwen one. I am royally impressed by that bird quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...